A legal process that takes place after an individuals dies.
The process includes:
- Proving in a court setting that a deceased individuals will is valid
- Identifying and inventorying the deceased individuals property
- Having said property appraised
- Paying all debts and taxes
- Distributing the remaining property as the will declares
Typically, probate involves paperwork and court appearances by lawyers. The lawyers and court fees are paid from estate property, which would otherwise go to the people who inherit the deceased person’s property